Hsin-Neng Hsieh, PhD, is a professor in the department of civil and environmental engineering at New Jersey Institute of Technology. His research interests include: physical, chemical, and biological treatment of wastewater sludge treatment, and solid waste management.
- PhD in Civil Engineering, University of Pittsburgh
- MS in Environmental Engineering, University of Iowa
- BS in Civil Engineering, National Cheng Kung University in Taiwan
Prerequisites: Phys 111, Math 112.
Provides an understanding of equilibrium of particles and rigid bodies subject to concentrated and distributed forces.
Prerequisites: Mech 235 (or Mech 234 for IE, ME majors). Provides an understanding of the mathematics of the motion of particles and rigid bodies, and of the relation of forces and motion of particles.
Prerequisite: EnE 663. (May be taken concurrently.) Introduction to solid waste disposal. Industrial and urban sources of solid waste and conventional methods of waste disposal. Application of engineering principles related to these topics.
Prerequisites: EnE 663, EnE 661. (May be taken concurrently.) Principles of evaluation and control of water pollution that describe aerobic treatment processes: oxidation ponds, trickling filters, and activated sludge. Anaerobic digestion and sludge handling and disposal as well as biodegradability study techniques for various wastes.
Prerequisite: EnE 669. Detailed laboratory experiments using unit operations of sedimentation, coagulation and flocculation; chlorination, filtration, aeration, sludge treatment and digestion. Aspects of pilot plant design and layout are considered. Design parameters discussed in prerequisite courses are developed by advanced bench-scale laboratory procedures. Advanced design and synthesis are considered.
Prerequisites: CE 320 & CE 321. Provides a comprehensive study of stormwater management with emphasis on design practices. Topics include regulatory framework, an overview of structural and non-structural BMPs, groundwater recharge analysis, estimate of runoff, and design of detention basin and drainage systems.
Water and wastewater treatment, sludge treatment, solid waste disposal, and stormwater management
Treatment of Wastewater, Treatment of Industrial Sludge, Optimization of Waste Management System, and Municipal Stormwater Management
- Haydar Erdogan and Hsin-Neng Hsieh, Evaluation of Air Quality in Buildings Located on TCE and PCE Contaminated Plume – A Field Study, paper accepted to present at the 3rd Residential Building Design and Construction (RBDC) Conference, March 2-3, 2016 at Penn State University, State College, PA
- Haydar Erdogan and Hsin-Neng Hsieh, A Field Study - Vapor Intrusion Investigation at a Site in New Jersey, ASCE Journal of Hazardous, Toxic, and Radioactive Waste Management, Vol. 18, No. 2, April 2014, pp. 05014001-1 – 05014001.
- Haydar Erdogan and Hsin-Neng Hsieh, Evaluation of Vapor Intrusion into Buildings Located on and around a Former Contaminated Site in New Jersey – A Field Study, online proceeding of the Air and Waste Management Association (A&WMA) specialty conference held in Cherry Hill, NJ on September 10-11, 2014
- Hsieh, Hsin-Neng, Taha Marhaba, and Paul Rodriguez, Challenges of the vessel general permit, Transportation Research Record, Journal of the Transportation Research Board, No. 2273, Marine Transportation, Marine Environment, and Port Terminal Operations, 2012, pp 62 - 68.
- Meegoda, J.N., Hsieh, H.-N., Rodriguez, P., Jawidzik, Sustainable community sanitation for a rural hospital in Haiti, J. Sustainability, Vol. 4, Is.12, 2012, pp. 3362 - 3376.
- Patrick A. Hettiaratchi, Jay N. Meegoda, Hsin-Neng Hsieh and Carlos A. Hunte, “Sustainable Management of Municipal Solid Waste”, International Journal of Environment and Waste Management (IJEWM), Vol. 6, Nos. 1/2, 2010, pp. 96 - 106.
- Hsin-Neng. Hsieh “Cradle to Cradle”, an article for Business of Sustainability, Volume II - Business of Sustainability, Berkshire Encyclopaedia of the Sustainability, 2010. p. 83 – 85.
- H. Hsieh, J. P. A. Hettiaratchi, S. El Haggar, J. N. Meegoda and R. I. Stressel, “Towards Sustainable Household Solid Waste Management”, International Journal of Environment And Waste Management (IJEWM), 2009.
- Karolina A. Filipiak, Layek Abdel-Malek, Hsin-Neng Hsieh and Jay N. Meegoda, “A Case Study on the Optimization of Municipal Solid Waste Collection”, ASCE, The Practice Periodical of Hazardous, Toxic, and Radioactive Waste Management, Vol. 13, Is 3, pp. 210-216, July 2009.
- Hsin-Neng Hsieh and Jay N. Meegoda, Review of a book “Sustainable Industrial Design and Waste Management – Cradle-to-Cradle for Sustainable Development” by Salah El-Haggar, Academic Press, ISBN 9780123736239, Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 17, Is. 5, pp. 570, March 2009.