Wen Zhang received his PhD Degree in Environmental Engineering at Georgia Institute of Technology in August 2011. During his doctoral studies, Dr. Zhang developed multidisciplinary approaches to address the complex issues of nanomaterials in terms of environmental fate, transformation, and biological interactions, which was funded by the EPA Science to Achieve Results (STAR) program. Dr. Zhang was the semiconductor research corporation (SRC) funded fellow. Based on his excellent academic performance and contributions to the semiconductor nanomaterial research, he received 2011 Simon Karecki Award from the Global Research Collaboration (GRC) and SEMATECH Engineering Research Center (ERC) for Environmentally Benign Semiconductor Manufacturing. In addition, Dr. Zhang has published more than 18 scientific papers in different high-impact journals such as ACS Nano, ES&T, and JPC. His particular areas of interest include the sustainable water-energy-environment systems, environmentally benign nanomaterial design and manufacturing, and renewable energy technologies. Furthermore, he is also interested in integrating cutting edge research from diverse disciplines into environmental science and engineering curricula. Dr. Zhang has been appointed as assistant professor in Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering at New Jersey Institute of Technology and will begin the appointment on September 1, 2012.
- Ph.D. Environmental Science and Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology 2011
- M.S. Environmental Science and Engineering, Tongji University 2007
- B.S. Environmental Science and Engineering, Tsinghua University, 2004
ENE 702 Special topic: AIR QUALITY & SUSTAINABILITY
Dr. Zhang’s research interests include environmental applications and implications of nanotechnology and engineered nanomaterials; sustainable environmentally benign nanomaterial design and manufacturing, and renewable energy technologies.
Projects under Pending Status
- Co-PI.Method Development for Quantification of Physicochemical Properties of Engineered Nanoparticles and Their Local-Scale Biological Effects. 2012 NSF CBET proposal. Total requested fund: $329,703. Proposal submission date: 02/12/2012. Anticipated project starting date: 09/2012.
- Co-PI. “Photosynthetic Activity and Productivity for Corn as Influenced by Foliar Nano-TiO2 Spray Treatments”. 2012 NSF CBET proposal. Total requested fund: $359,650. Proposal submission date: 02/12/2012. Anticipated project starting date: 09/2012.
- Co-PI. Novel Membrane Technologies for Algae Harvesting, Water and Nutrients Usage Reduction in Algal Biomass Production. 2012 Department of Energy (DOE) Advancement in Sustainable Algal Production (ASAP) proposal. Total requested fund: $1,800,000. Proposal submission date: 04/18/2012. Anticipated project starting date: 08/2012.
- Co-PI.Integration of a Novel Outdoor Cultivation System with Wastewater Treatment and Water Recycling Technologies to Produce Algal Biomass Efficiently and Economically. 2012 Department of Energy (DOE) Advancement in Sustainable Algal Production (ASAP) proposal. Total requested fund: $400,000. Proposal submission date: 04/18/2012. Anticipated project starting date: 08/2012.
- Co-PI.Quantifying the Cellular Effects of Single Engineered Nanoparticles on Human Epithelial Cells on a Nanoscale. 2012 NIH non-solicited proposal. Total requested fund: $1,250,000. Proposal submission date: 06/05/2012. Anticipated project starting date: 03/2013.
- Yang Li*, Wen Zhang*, Junfeng Niu, and Yongsheng Chen. Mechanism of Photogenerated Reactive Oxygen Species and Correlation with Antibacterial Properties of Engineered Metal Oxide Nanoparticles. ACS Nano, 2012. DOI: 10.1021/nn300934k.(*The first and second authors contributed equally to this work)
- Li, Kungang.; Chen, Ying.; Zhang, Wen.; Pu, Z.; Jiang, L.; Chen, Y., Surface Interactions Affect the Toxicity of Engineered Metal Oxide Nanoparticles towards Paramecium. Chemical Research in Toxicology 2012. DOI: 10.1021/tx300151y.
- Baicang Liu, Chen Chen, Wen Zhang, Kungang Li, Yongsheng Chen, John Crittenden. Low cost anti-fouling PVC ultrafiltration membrane with amphiphilic copolymers additives pluronic F 127. Desalination. Accepted.
- Madhavi Kalive, Wen Zhang, Yongsheng Chen, and David Capco. Human intestinal epithelial cells exhibit a cellular response indicating a potential toxicity upon exposure to hematite nanoparticles. Cell Biology and Toxicology, Accepted.
- Wen Zhang, Joseph B Hughes, and Yongsheng Chen. Impacts of hematite nanoparticle exposure on biomechanical and surface electrical properties of E. coli cells. Applied Environmental Microbiology, 2012. DOI: 10.1128/AEM.00193-12.
- Wen Zhang, John Crittenden, Kungang Li, and Yongsheng Chen. Attachment efficiency of nanoparticle aggregation in aqueous dispersions: modeling and experimental validation. Environmental Science and Technology, 2012, DOI: 10.1021/es203623z.
- Yang Li*, Wen Zhang*, Kungang Li, Ying Yao, Junfeng Niu, and Yongsheng Chen. Oxidative Dissolution of Polymer-Coated CdSe/ZnS Quantum Dots under UV Irradiation: Mechanisms and Kinetics. Environmental Pollution, 2012, 164: 259–266. (*The first and second authors contributed equally to this work)
- Liwen Zhang, Elijah J. Petersen, Wen Zhang, Yongsheng Chen, Miguel Cabrera, Qingguo Huang. Interactions of 14C-labeled multi-walled carbon nanotubes with soil minerals in water. Environmental Pollution. 166 (2012) 75-81. 2012
- Jane Geisler-Lee, Qiang Wang, Ying Yao, Wen Zhang, Matt Geisler, Kungang Li, Ying Huang, Yongsheng Chen, Andrei Kolmakov, Xingmao Ma. Phytotoxicity, Accumulation and Transport of Silver Nanoparticles by Arabidopsis thaliana. Nanotoxicology. 2012, DOI: 10.3109/17435390.2012.658094.
- Wen Zhang, Bruce Rittmann, and Yongsheng Chen. Size effects on adsorption kinetics of hematite NPs on E. coli cells. Environmental Science and Technology, 2011, 45 (6): 2172-2178.
- Wen Zhang, Ying Yao, Nicole Sullivan, Yongsheng Chen. Modeling the primary size effects of citrate-coated silver nanoparticles on their ion release kinetics. Environmental Science and Technology, 2011, 45 (10), 4422–4428.
- Wen Zhang, Ying Yao, and Yongsheng Chen. Quantifying and Imaging the Morphology and Nanoelectric Properties of Soluble Quantum Dot Nanoparticles Interacting with DNA. Journal of Physical Chemistry C, 2011, 115(3):599-606.
- Wen Zhang, Ying Yao, Kungang Li, Ying Huang, Yongsheng Chen. Influence of dissolved oxygen on aggregation kinetics of citrate-coated silver nanoparticles. Environmental pollution. 2011, 159 (12): Pages 3757–3762.
- Wen Zhang, Andrew Stack, and Yongsheng Chen. Interaction force measurement between E. coli cells and nanoparticles immobilized surfaces by using AFM. Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces, 2011, 82(2): 316-324.
- Kungang Li, Wen Zhang, Ying Huang, Yongsheng Chen. Aggregation kinetics of CeO2 nanoparticles in KCl and CaCl2 solutions: measurements and modeling. Journal of nanoparticle research. 2011, 13 (12): 6483-6491.
- Wen Zhang, Madhavi Kalive, David G Capco,and Yongsheng Chen. Adsorption of hematite nanoparticles onto Caco-2 cells and the cellular impairments: effect of particle size. Nanotechnology 2010, 21: 2–9.
- Wen Zhang, Ling Chen, Hao Chen, Siqing Xia. The effect of Fe0/Fe2+/Fe3+ on nitrobenzene degradation in the anaerobic sludge. Journal of Hazardous Materials.2007, 143 (1–2), 57-64.
- Wen Zhang, Ling Chen, Junping Ji, Siqing Xia. Study on Biodegradation of 2,4-DCP by Anaerobic Sludge Acclimated by Mixed Mono-Chlorphenols. Chinese Journal of Environmental Science. 2007, 28(6): 75–79.
- Aiqun Huang, Yalei Dai, Ling Chen, Hao Chen, Wen Zhang. Effects of 2-chlorophenol-acclimation on microbial community structure in anaerobic granular sludge. Chinese Journal of Environmental Science. 2008, 29 (3): 25–29.
- Aiqun Huang, Ling Chen, Junping Ji, Yalei Dai, Wen Zhang. Community structure of Archaea in Anaerobic granular sludge-suspended carrier biofilm reactor for 2, 4-dichlorophenol degradation. Chinese Journal of Applied and Environmental Biology. 2008, 14(3): 422–426.
- Wen Zhang and Yongsheng Chen. Effect of Nanoparticle Size on Adhesion Force with E. coli Cells. TECHCON 2010 Technology and Talent for the 21st Century Conference Proceedings. Austin, Texas, Sep, 13 -14, 2010.
- Xiaoshan Zhu, Xuezhi Zhang, Wen Zhang, Yung Chang, Hu Qiang, and Yongsheng Chen. Potential Toxicity of Nanomaterials and their Removal. Proceedings of the Chicago International Environmental Nanotechnology Conference: Applications and Implications Oct. 7 -9, 2008.
- Yongsheng Chen (PI), Wen Zhang, Ying Yao, Ching-hua Huang. Direct measurement of metal-Based nanoparticles by ICP-MS/OES or AAS without digestion (GTRC ID 5311). Provisional Patent Application. Serial number 61/441,072.
- Yongsheng Chen (PI), Wen Zhang, Guangshagn Zhang, John Crittenden. Experimental determination of conduction and valence band energy positions of semiconductor materials. Patent filling.
- Yongsheng Chen (PI), Wen Zhang, Ying Yao, Hao Jiang. A radio frequency electric field separation technique used in analytical chemical analysis. Patent filling.
- Ling Chen (PI), Wen Zhang, Yigang Fu, Aiqun Huang, Siqing Xia, Screening method for anaerobe capable of degrading chlorophenol. Publication No. CN 1827765 published on 06-Sep-2006
- Jian-e Zuo (PI), Jianping Li, Yang Yang, Wen Zhang. Reactor with anaerobic suspension bed. Publication No. CN 1258484 C published on 07-Jun-2006