Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE)
Program Educational Objectives
Our program educational objectives are reflected in the achievements of our recent alumni.
- Engineering Practice: Recent alumni will successfully engage in the practice of civil engineering within industry, government, and private practice, working toward sustainable solutions in a wide array of technical specialties including construction, environmental, geotechnical, structural, transportation, and water resources.
- Professional Growth: Recent alumni will advance their skills through professional growth and development activities such as graduate study in engineering, professional registration, and continuing education; some graduates transition into other professional fields such as business and law through further education.
- Service: Recent alumni perform service to society and the engineering profession through membership and participation in professional societies, government, educational institutions, civic organizations, and humanitarian endeavors.
Our BSCE student outcomes are what students are expected to know and be able to do by the time of their graduation:
- ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- an ability to function multi-disciplinary teams
- an ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- an ability to communicate effectively
- the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- a recognition of need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- a knowledge of contemporary issues
- an ability to use techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
The Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering (BSCE) program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET (www.abet.org).